Monday, January 2, 2012

Hublot King Power F1 Tourbillon Hands-On

I am not always sure what Jean-Claude Biver is thinking. The machine-gun minded Swiss CEO covers so many bases when deciding what new Hublot watches are made that it can be almost impossible to predict what will come next. However, I do know one thing: Mr. Biver is watch lover. It might sound ironic, or silly, but when a watch lover runs a watch brand, it is a good thing. And trust me, not all watch brand CEOs are watch lovers.

Mr. Biver is a major watch collector. He can't discuss it much, as he must stay partial to his own brand, but with wide (and high-end) interests his passion pushed his own brand to create some amazing things. I think this is one of the reasons he was so keen on having Hublot become a manufacturer of movements. One of the more recent high-end Hublot watches I got to play with is the King Power F1 Tourbillon. I discussed it in more detail here at Centurion. Why write about it again? For the pictures, of course - and, I suppose, to gush a bit more.

Among the things I wish I could afford, but never will, are sovereign islands, servants, and watches like this. Depending on the material (the watch comes in both zirconium and "king gold") it costs between $180,000 - $195,000. Yes, it isn't the most expensive watch I've written about, but it isn't something to wave your wallet at. Is it possible for people like me to still appreciate it? I think so because, for me, a lot of my appreciation for the watch comes from simply seeing it a few times and knowing things like this are being made. By the way, given Hublot's penchant to offer many different models (some with only minor detail changes), this watch should not be confused with a similar King Power watch released this year that has a carbon fiber bezel and also includes a minute repeater.

No comments:

Post a Comment